Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Photo + Food Blog: Shokudo Japanese Food Bazaar + Loof - My Novel Experience Shokudo Japanese Food Bazaar - Very much like the Marche concept of having several cooking stations under one roof, charge cards and themed dining, with Japanese food served instead.


Went on a weekday and fortunately, we got into the restaurant without any waiting. Because most of the times, it's very jammed up with the snakish long queues which I dun even bother to rethink of queueing. At the entrance, we were being issued a Shokudo card and a tag. Because it was free seating for everyone, the tag was used to 'reserve' our table instead of resorting to ugly ways like tissue packs and stuff.

With the usual 'irrashaimase' when I stepped in, I was too pretty impressed by the interior decorations. It was very Jap and automatically makes you feel like you are in Japan though it might look like marketplace too!


The design is colorful and modern, with various areas of themed dining. The walls are dominated by murals of Tokyo city scenes overlaid with graphics of animated Japanese girls or guys which most of them are pretty cuteeeeeee! Oh! And there's neoprint machines at the center of the restaurant which I find it quite interesting. Jaaapanese!

The picture above was done by this artist which I re-edited on its arrangement. View his work
here Got a table and afterwhich, we started making rounds around the restaurant, browsing through what the various stations have to offer. Food and pricing were displayed altogether, in a very clear-cut manner. After deciding on what we wanted, hand over the Shokudo card to the chefs and order straight from them.

Char Siew Ramen (Original)

Pork Katsu & Egg Rice Bowl

Mixed Yakitori - Gyu Enoki Maki

And Scallop


Avocado Cheese Maki

Chef at work on my omlette

Asparagus with Cheese

I enjoyed eating the maki and omlette only. If only they could improve on the quality of the food! Actually, it's not that bad
lah, just that it could be better? I like the fact that there is a huge variety of food and that there are ample seats. However, given that the prices are average, the food mediocre, I dun think Shokudo is worth queueing for half an hour.

And I wanna complain bout the 10% service charge! The concept is pretty much like a hawker or coffee shop or food court. We go up to the respective counters to place our orders; carry our own food back to our own table, I dun see why we should be paying the 10% service charge. Of course, there're cleaners who clean up the tables very efficiently but I do get that elsewhere as well what!
Sidenote: Japanese food got rosti meeeh?
Headed to The Loof for happy hours afterthat. I've always wanted to go there because it's at the top! This eccentric rooftop bar is like a playful space with indoor and outdoor sections, filled with caged trees and colourful lights and can easily get bedazzled by the skyscrappers surrounding it too! - Like another paradise hanging in the mid-air!
We were ushered to the indoor section which is air-conditioned. The windows, stretching from the ground to the ceiling can afford a great view of the bustling activity. It's like watching the world go by! The only peeve is that the construction for extension of Carlton hotel next to it, is spoiling the view and that the indoor section was 1/4 of the whole place! It will be quite disastrous if it's raining.



There's a few discounts for happy hour and I only remember business cards entitled 1 for 1 With the plush sofas, there's also an enticing looking area that looks like a mattress, complete with cushions, making the place looks extra comfortable and relaxing. After a few sips, I feel like lying down and have a good nap. Furthermore, the music isnt deafening and you can talk to anyone normally without any shoutings!


I din went down or out to explore the outdoor sections because I was plain lazy to move after sitting down but I think it's pretty cool as well!

Fun-filled evening!! Rocks big time!
Labels: Bar, Food - Japanese, Happy Hours, Loof, Shokudo Japanese Food Bazaar
11:57 PM