Friday, March 28, 2008

Food Blog: Ramen Santouka @ Central

Behind those mystifying Japanese curtains hidden in a corner, is this Hokkaido-style ramen chain, Santouka. It is in fact a 20-year-old brand with 50 outlets in Japan. It specialises in chasu (roasted pork), shio ramen (ramen in salt-flavoured broth) and miso ramen



The place isnt very big (Japanese standards). The interior is quite simple, looks like any ramen restaurant in Japan, just that it's abit brighter. There's no counter seats too. That is just for serving ramen. And besides the usual greetings of "irrashaimase" when I stepped in, the manager who is a Japanese is very observant and thoughtful. Seeing that I've a bag with me, she quickly pass me a basket to put my stuffs when we were sitting down



The three of us ordered Shoyu and Miso Ramen with additions of Komi Tamago and Tokusen Toroniku as sides

The Toroniku (is roasted cheeks from the pig's head) are really tender, with the gelatinous layer of fat melting like savoury butter when placed into your mouth. How divinely it tasted but kinda salty. However, the Toroniku is limited to 60 bowls a day only due to the limited quantity of pork cheeks. Have to go early in case you guys are missing out something good - At least try once. heh









They have four soup bases, namely - Miso (Soyabean), Shoyu (Soy Sauce), Shio (Salt) and Kara-Miso (Spicy Soyabean). The spicy one looks pretty interesting but due to a weak stomach I have, dun really want to risk taking it in case I've to roll all the way back. tsktsk

I am not quite a ramen-ista to ascertain if the ramen is really that oishii but look at the thick broth! It's rather salty, oily and intimidating, even though it is quite tasty. On the other hand, the noodles is really very great. It is so chewy and bouncy! Sluuuuuuuuurp!











The charsu on the other hand looks a lil' thick, rough and fatty but once it touches your mouth, it is chewily-soft and the flavours burst right into your mouth while it melts. And we spotted one extremely fatty charsu (different from the usuals) which we rumoured to be the pork ribs. Another complaint is that we find the meat salty too

We were hopping that the tamago will make us go 'oooooooooishii'. Then again, it was pretty disappointing as it was not up to our standards. hahah. We are the eggy-ista =P









I actually quite like the atmosphere. It isnt pretentious. Feels like a nice cozy little corner to hang out with some friends. Furthermore, you can have an overview of Clark Quay



Will definitely go back for their noodles and probably the pig's cheeks. Not too often though for fear of going to dialysis centres =P

Till then.. I will go hunt for more ramen stores =)


Sidetrack: The saltiness may be how they hawk their Hokkaido ramen. Not sure bout it, will report when I set my foot on Hokkaido. hehe

Labels: ,



11:48 PM



18th.may.1986
Love JieLun*
Lazy, Dreamy, Beach






♠ARCHIVES;


♠VISITORS;
since 27th Feb'07